sugar high
Daniel and I went to Canele (yes, again) last night to have desserts. Robertson in the evening is really, really, really happening, but not my cup of tea. I prefer it in the afternoon when I have the place all to myself. The crowd there is a league above that of in town (duh.) and I counted more branded handbags and work bags than I could count desserts. Burberry, Chanel, Prada, Loewe, Kate Spade, Tod's, blah blah and blah.
So we had the Chic Choc sweet crepe, a petit feuille (good luck pronouncing that! haha) and a Profiterole Violette. If you're thinking, are the desserts as great-tasting as their names are fancy? I say, YESYESYESYESYES go try any of their desserts before you die.
1. Chic Choc sweet crepe - Chocolate ice cream, warm chocolate sauce, meringue, chocolate crumble, chocolate shards, vanilla crème chantilly
The little puff of white at the bottom of the photo is the "vanilla crème chantilly" which are MY ULTIMATE FAVOURITE. God, it totally beats whipped cream out of the can. Duh. The meringue (tiny white bits) were melt-in-your-mouth oh-so-good. The 'chocolate crumble' (kind of like biscotti) was so fresh. So, so fragrant. And you can taste the cocoa in the ice cream and the chocolate so you know not only it's freshly made, it's damn good quality. For $15 a pop, it better be!!
2. Profiterol Violette - Almond tart perfumed with violet flower, violet chantilly, violet profiterole, blackcurrent jelly and fresh berries
Yes, I chose this because this one has chantilly too, haha. Cream freak. The jam was so yummy, not sweet like the conventional ones, but healthily sour. The choux pastry cream puff was really good too, justly light and got a good dose of cream. Mmmmmm yummm.
3. Petit feuille (translates to "small layers", I guess it's Canele's take on the mille-feuille although there was nothing 'petit' about the gigantic slice, not that I'm complaining) - puff pastry baked to perfection with almond custard filling
Eh.. No pictures 'cos I can't find any online and didn't take any when I was there. The crust was really damn flavourful and burnt to perfection, but the inside was rather......chewy. Like rubber band-ish. Shouldn't be left out in the aircon but served fresh out the oven. Didn't really enjoy this one except for the crust.
So in all we bombed $37.10 for 3 desserts. Goodness. But you know, I'd go back again any day heh heh.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home