broken and battered, just waiting to be fried

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

midnight madness

Hello! A quick update of recent happenings.

First, yy's housewarming! Quite a disaster (sorry for choice of word, yy) because it started pouring after they started the fire. It was a blessing in disguise that I needed to use the toilet because when I went into the house the weather was still fine but when I came out it was an almost-hurricane. Nevertheless, we had fun cooking in the kitchen, haha. No comments on the food because I didn't eat much. But they looked good.

Anyway, yy, your estate is real nice to walk around in at night, despite looking creepy and having suspicious characters lurking just outside your perimeter fencing.

Next, we had fun chasing a lime green Lotus Exige! But doing 140 on a bike on a wet road is really quite nerve-wrecking. But still! Lotus Exige! Same colour as this one:

Lastly, we caught a late-night screening of The Dark Knight. It's a cool take on the usual Batman routine because this, err, episode has a real plot (unlike the usual trashy superhero movies) and twists and turns everywhere. But it's a lengthy 153 minutes long which at the halfway mark I told Daniel I wanted to go home because I was quite sian already. It wasn't that the show was uninteresting. I'm just not a movie person. Plus I don't like psychotic villains and shows where the main character's loved ones get killed by said psychotic villain. Simply put, I like happy endings.

The Dark Knight also reminded me of a really old 1995 movie, Se7en, which had Brad Pitt playing the main character. (Disclaimer: I didn't watch the movie just because Brad Pitt was in it. Serious.) The plot is really simple: a serial murderer uses the seven sins (lust, gluttony, greed, sloth, wrath, envy, pride) as his MO. Brad Pitt was the detective hunting him down. The last few scenes show the murderer luring BP out to somewhere and presenting him with the head of his wife. BP, of course, shoots the murderer out of anger (yes), and so that way, the murderer actually won because he completed his series (since BP represented wrath and did kill out of anger). That's the thing about psychotic villains: they've got nothing to lose so that makes them the ultimate evil because you just can't use anything against them.

Emo aside, Dark Knight got really really cool toys and cars!!! Let me see if I can dig up pictures.

First, the Batmobile (aka the Tumbler).........

...........which can eject one part to give the Bat Bike!

Then there was his day time car, the Lamborghini Murcielago LP640

And the day time bike, the MV Augusta F4. Super chio! The Ferrari of motorbikes.

I especially like the scene where Bruce Wayne drove his Lambo to intercept 2 police SWAT vehicles on collision course (his lambo acted as the buffer between the 2 vehicles). Damn cool!!! So solid, that car.

I think cool toys are contributing factors to a movie's saleability nowadays. Look at Iron Man and his Audi R8 (which, in my opinion, is totally overr8ted). Transformers and the Chevy (wooooh). But in Singapore, everyday in town is a movie! Bentleys, Lambos, Ferraris, Rolls', Lotus'...... People are getting too rich (or rather, the banks are getting too rich).

It's not wonder that some rich expat (earning OUR money, by the way) can post on an online forum a comment that ERP rates are "too low to be effective" and cites rates of $200 per entry. People, we are seriously paying these ingrates too much.

But I forget: locals in this city are second-class citizens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home