broken and battered, just waiting to be fried

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Food, glorious food

Ok yes hate me now, for we went back to Rockpool yesterday. My conversation with Sarah pretty much sums up the general consensus on my good fortune..

Sarah: Haven't you been there (Rockpool) a few times now?
Me: No... Only twice!
Sarah: ......yeah that's twice more than me!

Hahaha. Yeah.. So here's another documentation of what we had last night. I will try to download the menu, but it seems to not have been updated.

***

Cold starter:
Oysters

Hot starter:
Fried calamari, radicchio and chilli salad with romesco

Mains:
Full-blood wagyu rib-eye (for him)
Duck confit with grilled figs (for me)

Sides:
Pumpkin and sweet potato with burnt butter and garlic yogurt
Whole organic and heirloom carrots inspired by St John

Dessert:
Black forest trifle inspired by the Fat Duck's "BFG"

***

As usual, Rockpool is amazing for food and service. In fact, the waiters were so hot I was wondering why they aren't air stewards instead! Ok moving on..

I never eat squid. NEVER. Hate those chewy shits. Calamari rings are acceptable cos you're pretty much eating batter, not squid. But yes, I had the fried calamari, and am now a convert. I didn't know squids could taste so good, and I discovered it is possible to cook them such that I don't spend half my mealtime trying to chew it to bits. Mmm. That said, I'm pretty sure I still wouldn't eat squid, unless it's at Rockpool. Oh dear, atas already.

My threshold for oysters is..... One. And I had just one something-Sydney rock oyster-something which was amazingly fresh and juicy, and I initially enjoyed. But the after taste of the sea was really too much for me. To put it simply, OMG MAX FISHY CAN. And that after taste is supposed to be the best part of a good oyster! Ew. That was an......experience.

The duck confit was excellent. Already from the look of the meat I knew it was different because of the paler colour (apparently it's the difference between a fresh local duck and frozen meat). And the angmoh version of our asian plum sauce is some sort of balsamic reduction. Very comforting, yet different, and it reminded me of home, yet not quite. But I'm definitely going to hang around Cambridge Market more often the next time I go home.

The trifle! Oh my heart. The BFG is the Fat Duck's "black forest gateau", kind of like a deconstructed black forest cake, with dollops of fragrantly fresh cream, just the way I like it. Oh my heart.

Please hold while I indulge in vicarious recall of last night's dinner..

//edit

Damn they skipped the menu for yesterday so here's today's.. Pretty much the same still! By the way, did I mention that the wine list was over 50-pages long? Insane!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home